Do you believe in superstitions?
Thousands of people believe in superstitions although a lot off people think of them as nonsense and not based on reason. Where does the word “superstition” come from? The word superstition comes from two Latin words: “Super’’ and “Stare”. Super means above and stare means to stand.
We know that the source of the superstitions is ignorance. Do you know anyone who does not have a superstition? Most of the people, more or less, believe in them. Even though they deny superstitions, they can not help believing in them. They are superstitious. Unfortunately, we have hundreds of superstitions. Superstitions are all around the world. They change from culture to culture and they have a big influence in our lives.
There are two types of superstition. Good luck superstitions and bad luck superstitions.
Some common superstitions around the world:
Good luck superstitions
- If your right hand itches, you will earn money.
- If you find a four-leaf clover, you will have good luck.
- If you see a horseshoe which was lost, you will have good luck.
- If you throw rice on a new bride and groom, they will have so many children.
- If you dream about a white cat, you will have good luck.
- If you see a black cat which walks towards you, it brings you good luck.
- If your right ear itches, someone is speaking well of you.
- You can hang up garlic in your house for good luck.
- If you put a mirror just across the door, you will have good luck.
- If you put the sugar into the cup first, before the tea, you will have good luck.
- If you step on your shadow, it brings you good luck.
- If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn, you will have good luck all winter.
- If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake in one blow, you will get whatever you want.
- If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, it brings you good luck all year.
- If a girl drinks salty water then goes to sleep, she will see her future husband in her dream.
Bad luck superstitions
- If you open an umbrella indoors, it brings you bad luck.
- If you sleep with your feet towards the door, a nightwalker will steal your soul.
- If you whistle at night, a nightwalker will come to your home.
- When a cat sneezes three times indoors, it will rain in 24 hours.
- If you dream about a dog, you will have a lot of enemies.
- If you break a mirror, it will bring you seven years of bad luck.
- If an owl hoots in your garden, it brings you bad luck.
- If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck.
- If you kill an albatross, it brings you bad luck.
- If you sleep on a table, you will have bad luck.
- If a dog howls at night, death is near.
- If you see a bird that comes towards you, you will have bad luck.
- If you drop a dishcloth, you will have bad luck.
- If you eat from the pot, it will rain at your wedding ceremony.
- If you start a trip on Friday, you will meet misfortune.
- If your left hand itches, you will lose money.
Do you know some good or bad luck superstations, which weren’t listed above? Please write them as a comment.